What is Sabudana Khichdi
Sabudana Khichdi is a popular Indian dish made with tapioca pearls, also known as sabudana, which are soaked overnight and then cooked with potatoes, spices, and herbs. This dish is commonly consumed during the Hindu festival of Navratri, where many people observe fasts and follow strict dietary restrictions.
Tapioca pearls are a common ingredient in Indian cuisine and are used to make a variety of dishes, including desserts and savory snacks. Sabudana Khichdi is a savory dish that is commonly eaten for breakfast or as a light meal.
Nutritional Value of Sabudana Khichdi
Sabudana Khichdi is not only delicious but also highly nutritious. Tapioca pearls are a good source of carbohydrates and provide a quick burst of energy. They are also gluten-free, making them suitable for those with gluten sensitivities. Potatoes, which are a key ingredient in Sabudana Khichdi, add a healthy dose of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and potassium.
Nutritional content of Sabudana Khichdi per serving:
- Calories: 271
- Protein: 2.5g
- Fat: 11.3g
- Carbohydrates: 39.9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 316mg
- Potassium: 357mg
- Vitamin C: 10.2mg
- 1 cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt (sendha namak)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Rinse the sabudana under running water until the water runs clear. Soak the sabudana in enough water to cover it for 4-5 hours or overnight. Drain the water completely from the sabudana using a colander.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the chopped green chilies and grated ginger. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the diced potatoes and rock salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook the potatoes on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until they are tender.
- Add the soaked and drained sabudana, sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and let the khichdi rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with yogurt or peanut chutney.
Tips for Making Perfect Sabudana Khichdi
- Rinse the tapioca pearls thoroughly to remove any excess starch.
- Soak the tapioca pearls overnight to ensure that they are soft and easy to cook.
- Use a non-stick pan to prevent the tapioca pearls from sticking to the bottom.
- Add roasted peanuts for a crunchy texture and to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Add lemon juice to the khichdi at the end to give it a tangy flavor.
- Do not overcook the khichdi as it can become mushy and lose its texture.