When it comes to Indian cuisine, Butter Chicken is a classic dish that has become popular all over the world. This creamy and flavorful dish is a staple of Indian restaurants and is loved by food enthusiasts worldwide. The dish has a rich history and has evolved over the years, with various versions and regional variations. Butter Chicken is a dish that is made with boneless chicken pieces that are marinated in a spicy yogurt sauce and then cooked in a buttery tomato sauce. The combination of spices and flavors creates a mouthwatering delight that everyone should try.
The Secret to Making Delicious Butter Chicken at Home
The History of Butter Chicken
Butter Chicken has a fascinating history that dates back to the 1950s in Delhi, India. The dish was created by a chef named Kundan Lal Gujral, who was the owner of the famous restaurant, Moti Mahal. Gujral had a unique way of cooking tandoori chicken, which involved marinating it in a mixture of yogurt and spices before cooking it in a tandoor oven. One day, he decided to experiment with the leftover tandoori chicken by adding it to a tomato-based sauce, which included butter and cream. The result was a creamy and delicious dish that soon became a hit with his customers. This was the birth of the Butter Chicken we know and love today.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this mouthwatering dish, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Boneless chicken pieces
- Spices (cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, etc.)
- Garlic and ginger
- Salt and pepper
Follow these simple steps to make your own delicious Butter Chicken at home:
- Marinate the chicken: In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, spices, garlic, and ginger. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Let it marinate for at least an hour, or overnight for best results.
- Cook the chicken: Heat some oil in a pan and add the marinated chicken pieces. Cook until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: In the same pan, add some butter and let it melt. Add the tomatoes, spices, and salt, and cook until the tomatoes have broken down and the mixture is fragrant. Use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender to puree the sauce.
- Add the cream: Return the sauce to the pan and add the cream. Mix well and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken: Add the cooked chicken pieces to the sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes until the flavors meld together.
- Serve: Garnish with some fresh cilantro and serve with rice or naan bread.
Q: Is Butter Chicken spicy?
A: It can be spicy, but you can adjust the spice level to your preference by adding more or less chili powder.
Q: Can I use chicken with bones?
A: Yes, you can use bone-in chicken, but it will take longer to cook.
Q: Can I make this dish ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the sauce and marinate the chicken ahead of time, but it’s best to cook the chicken and add it to the sauce just before serving.