Are you in search of a delicious vegetarian dish that is easy to prepare and bursting with flavor? Look no further than our Aloo Matar recipe! This classic Indian dish features tender potatoes and peas cooked in a spicy onion-tomato gravy that is sure to please your taste buds. With our step-by-step guide and tips, you can make the perfect Aloo Matar every time, whether you choose to make it on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot.
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- 15 minutes
- 25 minutes (on the stovetop)
- 10 minutes (in the Instant Pot)
- 4 people
- Calories: 205 kcal
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 5g
Preparing the Ingredients
- Peel and dice the potatoes into small cubes.
- Finely chop the onions, tomatoes, and green chilies.
- Measure out the spices and keep them handy.
Making the Onion-Tomato Gravy
- Heat oil in a pan or an Instant Pot on sauté mode.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste, and green chilies. Sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Add all the spices – coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt – and stir well.
- Cook until the tomatoes are soft and the oil separates from the mixture.
Adding the Potatoes and Peas
- If cooking on the stovetop, add 2 cups of water and mix well. Let it come to a boil.
- Add the diced potatoes and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add frozen peas and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the peas are heated through.
- If cooking in an Instant Pot, add ½ cup of water, and mix well.
- Add the diced potatoes and frozen peas on top of the onion-tomato gravy. Do not mix.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to manual or pressure cook mode for 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is over, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before quick-releasing the remaining pressure manually. 8. Open the lid and give the Aloo Matar a gentle stir.
Adjusting the Seasoning
- Taste the Aloo Matar and adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Add more salt, red chili powder, or garam masala if needed.
- Let it simmer for a minute or two.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, naan, or rice.
Tips for Making the Perfect Aloo Matar
- To make the dish creamier, you can add a tablespoon of cream or yogurt at the end.
- If you prefer a spicier dish, add more green chilies or red chili powder.
- To save time, you can use canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh ones.
- If you are using an Instant Pot, make sure to add enough liquid, as it requires more liquid than stovetop cooking.
- For a more flavorful dish, you can add a teaspoon of garam masala powder at the end.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use fresh peas instead of frozen peas?
- Yes, you can use fresh peas, but they will take longer to cook. Add them at the same time as the potatoes and cook until they are tender.
- Can I skip the green chilies?
- Yes, you can skip them, but they add a nice heat and flavor to the dish.
- Can I make this dish in advance?
- Yes, you can make this dish in advance and reheat it before serving. It tastes even better the next day!
- Can I use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes?
- Yes, you can use sweet potatoes, but they will give the dish a slightly sweeter taste.
- Can I freeze the leftovers?
- Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to three months.
At the end Aloo Matar recipe is the perfect vegetarian dish that is both delicious and easy to make. With its flavorful onion-tomato gravy and tender potatoes and peas, it’s sure to become a family favorite. Whether you make it on the stovetop or in an Instant Pot, you can follow our step-by-step guide and tips for the perfect Aloo Matar every time. So give it a try and enjoy the taste of India in your own home!